SEO App Attribution
Access to Branch's SEO App Attribution requires premium product access. Please reach out to your account manager or https://branch.io/pricing/ to activate.
Branch is a true cross platform solution working in a mobile ecosystem which is notoriously hard to make sense of when the users are interacting with dozens of channels and are ending up in the app. Some customers see Branch as “GA for Apps” and rely on our data to be as complete as possible when it comes to seeing where their users are coming from and which channels are driving the performance.
While we have a great coverage of Paid and Organic channels where a Branch link can be used or attribution can be retrieved, one key missing component of a user journey which we would not be able to report on is Organic Search.
To satisfy the recommended requirement of deep linking from Google Ads our customers are recommended to enable the native Universal Links / App Links on their top level domain. This would also directly impact the organic search results which means less visibility to the SEO team. In addition, potential transactions which would previously be accounted for on web tools now show up in app analytics as organic. Branch's SEO App Attribution of mobile search engine traffic exposes the app's organic user blind spots and completes the picture for marketing campaigns.
Organic Search is responsible for more than 20% of commerce traffic generation on average so is a major source of visits and revenue which we would be missing.
- User clicks on a link from a search engine (ex. Google, Yahoo, etc.).
- The Links/URLs are indexed through the search engine.
- Branch collects specific signals on app open.
- The Branch SDK simulates a click.
- Branch attributes app users to the organic search results.
The Branch Dashboard will surface all of your channels and campaigns. Once SEO App Attribution is enabled, you will be able to view Organic Search performance on the Summary Reports
For a full guide on Dashboard Reports and how to customize them, view our guide here.
The Branch Dashboard and Data APIs will report Organic Search traffic through the following tags:
Data API Field
search engine name
organic search URL
In order to enable SEO App Attribution, you need to have completed the following:
- Created a Branch Dashboard.
- Enabled SEO App Attribution for your Branch account.
- Contact your Branch account manager or visit https://branch.io/pricing
- Implemented the latest version Branch SDK into your mobile app (iOS | Android)
iOS & Android developers are required to enable SEO App Attribution.
1. Verify that your Branch iOS SDK version is v1.39.4+
2. Verify that your Branch Android SDK version is v5.0.12+
Universal Links & App Links
In order to enable SEO App Attribution, you only require either iOS Universal Links or Android App Links enabled on your top-level domain (having both Universal Links and Android App Links is recommended). Enablement of the deep linking mechanism will enable attribution for that platform. For example, if you enable Universal Links and not Android App Links, SEO App Attribution will only show data for iOS and not Android.
In the Branch Dashboard, navigate to the SEO page on the left. If you're already logged into the Branch Dashboard, you can also click here to go there directly.
Click the Get Started button
In the field, enter your SEO domains. List each of the domains you want to enable SEO Attribution for.
Currently the wildcard character '' is not supported. So you need to specify the exact domain, like "branch.io" and not ".branch.io"
Once complete, you can view your SEO App Attribution analytics in its own section in the Branch Dashboard called SEO Analytics. Here you'll be able to measure Trends and Performance through the graphical charts and tables respectively.
SEO App Attribution has the same reporting capabilities as Branch's Universal Ads product. For a detailed overview of ad analytics and how to customize them, view our guide here.
- For Dashboard Custom Exports, you'll want to make sure you are exporting the
Organic Search URLColumn.
- For Custom Exports API, you'll want to make sure you are exporting the
If you have completed all the setup steps above and are still running into issues, you should first verify that iOS Universal Links and Android App Links are working properly.
- Grab a URL that would look like a search result. Ex. https://www.skyskanner.com/
- Copy/paste that URL into a Universal/App Links compatible editor (ex. Slack)
- Make sure that the app is installed.
- Click on the link from the compatible editor.
- Does the app open?
- [Advanced] Use Charles Proxy to double-check the domain being sent to Branch in the
- Look for
- Is the URL present and does it match the original URL you clicked on?
- Look for
In order for Branch to attribute conversions from SEO, you should confirm that the SDK is receiving the correct signals.
- Find a Google search result for the app that matches the URL pattern you registered with Branch.
- Click on the Google search result.
- Does the app open?
- Yes: Then continue.
- No: Then there's an issue with your Universal or App Links setup. Follow the troubleshooting steps for Checking Universal/App Links.
- [Advanced] Use Charles Proxy to double-check the domain and referrer being sent to Branch in the
Note: Chrome is not supported on iOS.
Updated 6 months ago