QR Code Access Required
Access to Branch's QR Code API and SDK requires premium product access. Please reach out to your account manager or https://branch.io/pricing/ to activate.
QR codes (Quick Response codes) are a type of matrix barcode first designed in 1994 for the automotive industry in Japan. While they received some wider adoption initially, it wasn’t until Apple and Android camera apps were able to scan them directly when they started becoming mainstream — first in Asian markets, and within western markets as a result of COVID accelerating this trend.
QR codes leverage existing channels like physical store locations, store receipts, flyers, direct mail campaigns, product packaging, print media, desktop website, and even over-the-top channels, you can use them to reach various user segments to convert them into loyal app users. By using QR codes to reach new users and bring your existing user base into the app, you can unlock greater user LTV, in-app revenue, and hit your app growth goals.
- In-Store Signage, Posters, Flyers, etc.
- Purchase Materials (receipts, bags, cups, etc.)
- Physical Mailers
- TV Ads
- Cross Device Engagement:
- Desktop Web to App
- Promotions, Coupons, etc
- In-app Sharing
- User is presented with a QR code.
- User uses their phone's camera to scan the QR code.
- User is routed to the App/Play Store to download the app.
- App install & downstream app events are attributed to QR code.
There are a couple of options for creating QR Codes with Branch. Both have a specific purpose and you can determine which one to use through the Best Practices section.
The Branch Dashboard allows you to create Quick Links for a single one-off purpose. Each Branch Quick Link that is created is accompanied by a QR Code that can be downloaded as a JPG or SVG.
1. Log in to your Branch Dashboard
Additional details on creating and configuring your Quick Link can be found here.
Premium Access Required
Using the API or SDK method is a Branch Premium product. Please reach out to your account manager or https://branch.io/pricing/ to activate.
Developers knowledgeable with APIs & Web Development are required.
Branch offers an API and an SDK method that can be used by developers to programmatically customize and generate a Branch QR Code.
- Generate QR Code via QR Code API
- Generate QR Code via Branch Web SDK
- Generate QR Code via Branch iOS SDK
- Generate QR Code via Branch Android SDK
- Generate QR Code via Branch Flutter SDK
- Generate QR Code via Branch ReactNative SDK
Your scale and use case will determine which integration option you should implement for using Branch QR codes.
If you are just looking to use a one-off static QR code then you should create QR Codes via Quick Links.
- A static QR code that goes on your Desktop Website
- A static QR code that will go on
If you are looking to use many different QR codes that allow for more robust reporting & analytics or more advanced customization then you should create dynamic QR codes via API or SDK.
- Unique QR codes for different restaurants that promote the app.
- Change the color, logo, etc. of the QR code
- Programmatic QR code generation
The Branch QR Code can be customized with different colors and logos. These customizations may have an impact in device cameras' ability to interpret the QR code being scanned. Please see the below guidelines on your QR code customization:
- When using a logo in your QR code, there are restrictions to the size of your logo. QR codes have an error margin and we recommend using a logo that does not cover more than 30% of the code.
- Consider the contrast of your QR code. Contrast is an important factor in scan reliability, so a black code on a white background is the safest display option in terms of color.
A QR Code’s minimum resolution should be 76 x 76 px, or 2 x 2 cm. That’s because 1 centimeter is approximately 38 pixels and the minimum QR code size is 2 x 2 cm.
The sizing should be determined by the QR Code's scanning distance and data to be encoded. The ratio of the scanning distance to the size of the QR Code should be close to 10:1, and you can use the following basic rule as described by scanova.io.
Your QR codes' performance will be available in Branch's aggregate and log-level reports. Whether you're looking at metrics on the Branch Dashboard or looking at downstream app performance on your analytics platform, you will be able to filter out campaigns run with your QR codes. Please use the following best practices to get the best out of your reporting and analytics:
- Make sure you are using the appropriate QR code for your use case
- Apply proper analytics labels to your Branch QR Codes
- Confirm that your mobile app is tracking events
Because these QR codes are essentially Branch Links, they have the same attribution and deep linking capabilities as any others used in channels like sharing, email, etc. To ensure your QR codes are deep linking users into specific in-app content, ensure you have the following set up:
- Branch SDKs are integrated into your app
- Deep-linked routing via Branch Links is set up
- QR codes & Branch Links have deep linking data
You can follow our guide on deep linking here.
Updated 2 months ago