Testing your configuration is a very important step that we highly recommend you take the time to complete before going live with marketing campaigns.
The following guide walks you through how to ensure postbacks are correctly firing to your ad partner and passing all of the relevant data.
Before testing postbacks, make sure of the following:
- The Branch SDK is implemented in your app & it's implemented to measure events.
- Default link behavior and attribution windows are configured.
- Universal Ads Partners are enabled.
- A Test Device exists in your account.
In order to properly test the postbacks set up for your ad partner, you must first select the platform - Web Browser or Mobile App - on which you will be testing. Your selection impacts both the test link generated in the next step, as well as items shown during the test.
- In the left-hand navigation, under Channels & Links, click on Ads and then Partner Management.
- Select the appropriate Ad Partner and click on the Postback Testing BETA tab.
- Select either Web (browser) or Mobile App.
- If you select Mobile App, also select your test device from the drop-down. NOTE: If you have not yet added your test device, please click Add New Device to do so.
- Click Save & Continue.
Branch Links Only
This feature only generates and recognizes links formatted for Branch; i.e. TUNE-formatted links will not be generated nor recognized.
Based on your selections, Branch creates a test link with all of the necessary information appended to allow you to fully test functionality.
To use your test link, you can:
- Copy and paste your link
- Send the link via SMS
Once you have your test link, click Test.
Click Test Link and Perform Events
After you click the TEST button below, click the link on your device and perform the event you want to test.
Make sure you are passing those events to Branch.
Once you click the Branch test link provided in the steps above, Branch measures and attributes the click and resulting events. As this happens, these events are displayed in a timeline on the screen in real time.
For each event Branch measures, the following related data points are viewable (and available to be downloaded via .CSV) where applicable:
- Last Attributed Touch Timestamp
- Advertising Partner Name
- Current Feature
- Tune Publisher Name
- $Link Title
- Android Tracker Id
- Click Timestamp
- Ios Tracker Id
- Di Match Click Token
- First Event For User
- Os Version
- User Agent
- Geo Continent Code
- Geo Region Code
- Geo Dma Code
- Geo City Code
- Geo Lat
- Geo Lon
- Geo Country Code
- Cross Platform Id
- Past Cross Platform Ids
- Prob Cross Platform Ids
- Content Items
- Pub Source
- Event Timestamp
For each postback Branch fires, the following information is available:
- Response Status
- Response Time (in milliseconds)
- Request Timestamp
- Request URL
- Request Method
- Event Data (see previous itemized list)
- Check the expected macros are populated AND the response code. Most importantly, you'll want to verify the IDFA/AAID and the Click ID are populated.
- We recommend verifying the event with the ad partner even when the Response Code is 200 (successful). To do so, send them the event name, the postback request URL, device ID, timestamp, postback response code and response body.
- If you can’t find the postback you’re looking for, we recommend testing your ad link several more times to trigger the subsequent postback.
By default, once you click Test, Branch will listen for the resulting events for 10 minutes.
You can choose to stop the testing at any time by clicking End Postback Testing in the upper right-hand corner.
You can also restart the testing at any time by clicking Start Postback Testing in the upper right-hand corner.
Updated 7 months ago