Answering the Google Play Store Privacy Questions
Detailed information on completing the Google Play Store questions when submitting your app for release or update.
New Safety Section Timeline
Google has informed developers that all Google Play Store submissions with the new safety section information, must be approved by April 2022.
We encourage you to submit your information early so you can get review feedback and make any necessary changes before you are no longer able to make new app updates.
As part of the Google Play Store Developer submission process, developers are required to fill out Google’s updated Data Safety section in the Google Play Console. When completing the Safety Section portion of your developer application, you are required to provide information about your app’s data collection and privacy practices, including the practices of third-party partners like Branch whose SDK code you integrate into your app.
After February 2022, “No information available” will be shown by Google in the Data Safety section for apps that have not submitted information in the Google Play Console for review and for apps that have submitted information but the submission was rejected.
Without an approval in the Data Safety section, your new app submission or app update may be rejected.
Answering the Google Play Store Safety Section Questions
You must select answers from the options presented in Google Play Store. Please keep in mind:
- Branch’s SDKs are fully configurable by you, both in the data we collect on your behalf and how you use that data. Accordingly, you should identify all possible data collections and uses, even if not outlined here or even if certain data will be collected and used only in limited situations.
- Your answers should follow the Google Play Store Safety Section Review Guidelines and any applicable laws.
- We encourage you to consult with your legal counsel if you have questions about compliance with applicable laws or how your use of Branch implicates applicable laws.
- You are solely responsible for keeping your responses accurate and up to date. If your practices change, update your responses in Google Play Store.
What You Need To Disclose
- Any of the required user data types that are collected and/or shared
- Any user data sent off the user’s device by libraries or SDKs used in your app, regardless of whether this information is transmitted to you (the developer) or a third party
- Any user data transferred from your server to a third party or transferred to another third-party app on the same device
- Any user data collected or transferred through a webview which can be opened from your app, unless users are navigating the open web
*Note: you can learn more about each of these types of data use during the application submission process.
Sample Answers for Google’s Data Safety Section for Branch SDKs
Data Collection and Security
|Is this data encrypted in transit?||YES|
|Can users request to delete this data?||YES|
Data Types Collected by Branch's SDKs
Prominent Disclosure and Consent
In addition to reviewing the information below, you are also responsible for ensuring your continued compliance with Google’s Prominent Disclosure and Consent Requirements.
You’ll need to confirm the types of data that you and/or your third-party partners including Branch collect from your app before answering the questions in Google Play Store.
Health and Fitness
Files and Docs
Web Browsing History
App Info and Performance
|Device or Other Identifiers||YES (OPTIONAL)|
|Other Data||YES (OPTIONAL - Branch collects this data on your behalf (e.g. engagement data and device metadata features such as screen size and operating system version)|
Data Usage and Handling by Branch's SDKs
You will need to have a clear understanding of how each data type is used by you and your third-party partners including Branch. Branch provides deep linking and attribution analytics services. Depending on the type of data being collected, you may be prompted to provide more information about Branch SDKs will use and handle your data:
Is data Collected and/or Shared
YES to both
Is data “processed ephemerally”?
NO (see Play Store Safety Section for definition)
Is the collection of data necessary to the use of the app or can users choose whether data is collected?
Users can choose to turn off this data collection (See: https://help.branch.io/developers-hub/docs/honoring-opt-out-of-processing-requests)
Why is the user data collected?
Updated 2 months ago